Rachel is Back!

General racing discussion.

Moderators: Roguelet, hpkingjr, WaveMaster

TJ
Darley line

Postby TJ » Fri Apr 30, 2010 12:20 pm

dublino wrote:HOTY my backside, cheap speed and when the speed is gone snap a leg next.

Retire her while she is still sound, Mr Jackson.

Hi Dub,
If you saw her run, her soundness is suspect.....a good horse doesn't drift out going into the first turn. That doesn't mean she wasn't horse of the year last year....it just means Zenyatta will win HOTY unopposed this year. TJ

ElPrado
Grade II Winner

Postby ElPrado » Sun May 02, 2010 5:00 am

That could also be an equipment problem. Or a jockey problem, for that matter.

TJ
Darley line

Postby TJ » Sun May 02, 2010 5:19 am

ElPrado wrote:That could also be an equipment problem. Or a jockey problem, for that matter.

Hi El,
That's true for a young horse, you haven't figured out yet.....but I think, after last seasons campaign, they know what equipment RA runs best in and Borel has a tiny bit of experience navigating that course. To add to that, RA didn't switch leads till inside the 1/8th pole. TJ

tbrace
Restricted Stakes Winner

ra

Postby tbrace » Sun May 02, 2010 4:53 pm

Unfortunately, I believe she has raced her last race. This losing humiliates JJ, and that will be the deciding factor, not the horse herself.

TJ
Darley line

Postby TJ » Mon May 10, 2010 7:47 am

Rachel was back on the work tab this AM, ten days after her 2nd place finish in the La Troienne. She worked a pedestrian 1/2 mile in 52.00 B, ranking 64 of 69. Co-best 1/2 mile work of the day was Jackson Bend (working for the Preakness) and Latigo Shore's 1/2 mile in 46.60 also Breezing. TJ

erhrdt3
Starters Handicap

Postby erhrdt3 » Mon May 10, 2010 12:20 pm

RA is done. I agree with the poster who said to retire her before she has a bad injury or God forbid, worse.

I have a photo of her that I blew up and her right front hoof looked like it was held together with super glue. Maybe it was just the photo, but for her to go from how well she did last year to obviously having something wrong this year, there is obviously something she is trying to tell the trainer/owner.

I am a HUGE Zenyatta fan, and still believe that the Queen Z would have put RA away on RA's best day, but I truly hope they do not continue with her before she gets hurt.

She could not make the Apple Blossom to face Zenyatta supposedly because she was not in shape. Zenyatta was...what's with that?

It's much more than not being in shape. Save this horse "Mr." Jackson.
We will NEVER see another Ruffian......

TJ
Darley line

Postby TJ » Mon May 17, 2010 4:19 am

Rachel worked again this AM (5/17) at CD. A slow 5/8ths over a sloppy track in 1:04.20 breezing. TJ

Joltman
Grade I Winner

Postby Joltman » Mon May 17, 2010 5:56 am

Everybody knows something is wrong. Things go wrong with most horses, even the best, and the best trainers figure it out and make decisions to remedy the problem or retire the horse.

I suspect the connections know what's wrong and are working slowly to get her back to where she was. Obviously, nothing except top class is acceptable - nothing else to prove. But she won't be bred this year, so there's a lot of time to play around and figure out what may work. If its a hoof, and in the past she hasn't had bad feet, it will grow out. She's only a 4yo so she her best racing should be now, not last year. These works may be to maintain a base line fitness, and if they resolve what ever is wrong, they can crank down on her.

jm
Run the race - the one that's really worth winning.

TJ
Darley line

Postby TJ » Mon May 17, 2010 7:24 am

Joltman wrote:Everybody knows something is wrong. Things go wrong with most horses, even the best, and the best trainers figure it out and make decisions to remedy the problem or retire the horse.

I suspect the connections know what's wrong and are working slowly to get her back to where she was. Obviously, nothing except top class is acceptable - nothing else to prove. But she won't be bred this year, so there's a lot of time to play around and figure out what may work. If its a hoof, and in the past she hasn't had bad feet, it will grow out. She's only a 4yo so she her best racing should be now, not last year. These works may be to maintain a base line fitness, and if they resolve what ever is wrong, they can crank down on her.

jm

Hi Jolt,
Exactly right....these are maintenance breezes for a horse that is fit, meanwhile all we have heard is she isn't fit yet. Either she isn't 100% or she is going along in limbo until they announce her next goal. Whatever it is, the latter would be preferred. If her feet were bugging her, she would not be out there breezing. Bottom line, we'll never know.....but more important they are looking out for her and not succumbing to pressure to run.....which started this whole thing to begin with. TJ

ArchDandy
Allowance Winner

Postby ArchDandy » Mon May 17, 2010 11:58 am

Joltman wrote:Everybody knows something is wrong. Things go wrong with most horses, even the best, and the best trainers figure it out and make decisions to remedy the problem or retire the horse.

jm

Does anyone know if she was allowed to be unshod during her rest?

TJ
Darley line

Postby TJ » Mon May 24, 2010 4:06 am

Rachel is cranking up again....maybe there's something on the horizon. She worked 5/8th's this AM at Churchill in 1:00.40 breezing. TJ

smeehan
2yo Maiden

Postby smeehan » Mon May 24, 2010 3:53 pm

I am having a hard time understanding the comments about her not being quite right but still training regularly. Sure, some trainers may work their unsound, inexpensive claiming stock (not that I condone this practice, but we all know it's common), but I can't imagine any connections who would risk the life of a champion and her rider.

If she has issues, wouldn't it be a better bet that she would simply be retired rather than risking tragedy? It happens regularly as demonstrated on the Derby trail once again this year.

TJ
Darley line

Postby TJ » Tue May 25, 2010 4:36 am

smeehan wrote:I am having a hard time understanding the comments about her not being quite right but still training regularly. Sure, some trainers may work their unsound, inexpensive claiming stock (not that I condone this practice, but we all know it's common), but I can't imagine any connections who would risk the life of a champion and her rider.

If she has issues, wouldn't it be a better bet that she would simply be retired rather than risking tragedy? It happens regularly as demonstrated on the Derby trail once again this year.

Hi Smeehan,
These comments are pure speculation, there is no confirmation.....but switching leads inside the 1/8th pole and getting out a bit into the turn isn't what you would like to see any horse do (that isn't speculation). It's true, she hasn't missed a beat, yet she did back off in her first two beezes after her last start.....this last breeze (3rd since that race) was more like it. There are other reasons for her putting in slow works, doesn't have to mean anything is amiss.....as they alone know when she will run back and now that they picked up the tempo....I would think they may have a spot picked out for her, yet they are being very cautious in letting on what their plans are for her....adding to the speculation.
The reasons why she did what she did in her last start, we will never know, but the fact they continue on with her are good signs. It could have been something that they are able to deal with and train around and through, it could have been nothing.....but as I said we will never find out. Until her connections see it differently all we can do is hope for the best and see what her next start will bring.....hopefully a return to her former brilliance. TJ

zinn21
3rd Year Sire

Postby zinn21 » Tue May 25, 2010 6:16 am

She's training up a storm. Other than Z in the race, I don't see her getting beat in her next start..

TJ
Darley line

Postby TJ » Tue May 25, 2010 6:52 am

zinn21 wrote:She's training up a storm. Other than Z in the race, I don't see her getting beat in her next start..

Hi Zinn,
So is Zenyatta....she worked 3/4's yesterday too......I hope you're right....wonder if they're going to try the Stephen Foster? I'd rather see her in the Fleur de Lis? TJ