Still looking for stallion for this mare

Get advice on your broodmares and stallion selection.

Moderators: Roguelet, WaveMaster, madelyn, Diane

springboro
Grade II Winner

Postby springboro » Thu Feb 09, 2012 7:12 am

Ok, after a little research, I am impressed with Allover. A dandy family sporting stallions like Sword Dance, Nureyev, Sadler's Wells and El Condor Pasa, he is the track record holder at Del Mar.

Interesting his dam is listed as a "blood sister" to Nureyev on one website. and she is!

Anyone seen him? He attractive? Aggressive like his sire, Spinning World?

oleos93
Allowance Winner

Postby oleos93 » Sat Feb 11, 2012 2:10 pm

Seems to be alot of decent cross with this mare.....I bred her last year but she is in heat for sure right now so I may keep looking for another while and decide in March.

Springboror....what have you seen in Idaho.....I am not finding anything worth breeding to here, besides my own stud..lol.....what do you see? I am unaware of any turf races in Idaho but may be wrong as racing here was at a halt for some years and have not seen any of the tracks.

Jeff
Starters Handicap

Postby Jeff » Wed Feb 15, 2012 1:59 am

Grindstone standing at Oakhurst Thoroughbreds in Oregon would work, so would Popular in Nor Cal or Gotham City at Daehling ranch in Elk Grove, they both love returns to Hail To Reason. A 22 year old mare, is she up for a road trip?

Jeff

oleos93
Allowance Winner

Postby oleos93 » Fri Feb 24, 2012 2:31 am

I think I made my choice and going with Giacomo. Been talking to farm so just have to get her there.

Jeff, answer to your question....this mare is amazing. She out runs every horse in my barn and looks awesome. She does not look or act her age and is in great health, so yeah I think the trip will be fine. Plus she will be staying there. She will foal in CA.

fastappy
Starters Handicap

Giacomo x Hurry Home Helen

Postby fastappy » Mon Mar 05, 2012 10:00 am

Nice move! I think Giacomo will develop into a good stallion, especially for California. Best of luck!
"He's by Damon Runyon out of a Don Rickles mare," Actor Jack Klugman

Diane

Postby Diane » Mon Mar 05, 2012 12:09 pm

You do realize a 22 yr old mare has a greater risk of having a problem with colic during the trip down from your Idaho/Canadian border area? If she arrives dehydrated you will have an instant vet bill for IV fluids +??.
Magali is a beautiful facility. Her board costs plus the probable regumate they'll have her on just don't make sense for me financially. If you wait until Giacomo's weanlings are available at sale you'll probably find one for much less than breeding your own mare will cost. If you lived in the area and were keeping your mare at home it would be a different story.

oleos93
Allowance Winner

Postby oleos93 » Mon Mar 05, 2012 12:42 pm

I don't agree with that at all.....when I haul myself I stop ALOT and only travel for 6-8 hours a day with many stops, and always have a bucket filled with ice in with the horses, and ALL horses I have hauled do eat the ice, then get water when we stop, and always stop in places horses can get out and be stalled. If I hire a hauler, there are way to many top notch haulers that would do the same or better.

I also do not agree that her age plays any different of a part in becoming dehydrated or colicing then a younger horses. I have hauled myself horses to the east cost and never had a horse be dehydrate or colic.... ever. If horses have, and I have never experienced or know anyone that has, then the hauler must be doing something wrong and not hauling for the sake of the horse.

Colic is such a word thrown out there I think most horse people use it just to use it......horses just do not colic to colic and a horse that does not have a history to colic, is not going to out of the blue. It just does not happen. And WAY to many horse people blame colic when it is not that at all....a simple example....had a filly with a sore mouth, trainer though colic...oh no we have to call vet.....panicking. EVERYTHING they explained did not tell me colic.....long story short, it was not colic it was a bad tooth infection. Sorry, in my 30 plus years and over 500 horses in my care or owned I can count on 1 hand how many horses I have had the coliced and NON where serious.....I do not worry about colic.

Plus we are moving to CA in the next 2-4 months, this is why she will be staying anyway. So either way she will be making the trip.

This is not just wanting a Giacomo baby, it is wanting one with my mare, not someone elces. I don't quite understand why people don't get that. Plus as a breeder you want your Farm name on there if the foal was to sell. That is the goal here , not just having a Giacomo foal. Even if we do keep it, if it runs and does well, we want our Farm, name on there for that too.

karenkarenn
Breeder's Cup Winner

Postby karenkarenn » Fri Mar 16, 2012 7:51 pm

Since you have had success with a son of Seattle Slew, why not bred her to one.
I believe you have a daughter of your mare that made some money.

And your right, a 22 year old won't colic in a trailer if you take care of it. Been there done that several times.
:lol: :lol: