Stewards scratch

General racing discussion.

Moderators: Roguelet, hpkingjr, WaveMaster

KBEquine
Grade III Winner

Stewards scratch

Postby KBEquine » Tue Nov 17, 2009 11:24 am

In Race #2 today, a horse we bred was to race & is listed as scratched by the stewards. I don't know the trainer (Corey Day) or owner (Plumstead Stables) & so can't ask them -

What generally are reasons for scratches by stewards & is there a way to find out why this particular scratch was made? (Post or PM -- any information appreciated.)

smeehan
2yo Maiden

Postby smeehan » Tue Nov 17, 2009 2:50 pm

Yesterday at Beulah, a horse that was scratched at the gate was listed as a stewards scratch.

Also, if the horse's papers aren't in proper order or if the is a problem with licensing of the owners, the stewards can also scratch a horse.

I'm sure there are plenty of additional reasons others may be aware of.

ct2346
Starters Handicap

Postby ct2346 » Wed Nov 18, 2009 10:33 am

Is the trainer or owner officially licensed? I've seen steward scratches due to licensing concerns...

KBEquine
Grade III Winner

Postby KBEquine » Wed Nov 18, 2009 6:06 pm

Yes - they're not new to the track by any means, but it was the filly's first start.

majxmom
Grade I Winner

Postby majxmom » Thu Nov 19, 2009 12:00 pm

A stewards scratch generally means that one of the connections has a problem with their license: an infraction, suspension, unpaid bill, or most likely in CA, that the CHRB has not received notification from the trainer's insurance carrier that the workman's comp insurance premium was paid. A lot of trainers policies in CA are written from July 1, and every July 1, there's three or four scratches. It doesn't mean that the guy didn't pay his bill; it just means that the carrier did not send notice to the CHRB like they are supposed to.
"When I am on my deathbed, I imagine I will say, 'Thank God I did that'" - Arthur Hancock, on buying back Gato del Sol from Europe after Exceller was killed in a slaughterhouse in Sweden.

Dave C
Restricted Stakes Winner

Postby Dave C » Thu Nov 19, 2009 4:41 pm

Stewards have wide discretion to scratch a horse so it could mean anything. I had a horse a few years back that we asked the stewards to scratch the horse out of a claiming race because she had bows that need protecting and there was a surprise shower the night before her race causing the track to come up heavy. They scratched in the best interest of the horse.

I know of another incident where the vet got the horses mixed up in a large barn and gave a wrong med to a horse that was in that day. The horse would have tested positive so the vet went to the stewards and explained the situation (got a heavy fine for the mistake) and the horse was listed as a stewards scratch not a vet scratch.

My trainer has also asked the stewards to scratch a horse out of a full race so that the horse could be entered in a race that the secretary was having trouble filling for 2 days later.

With a first time starter you can also consider the possibility that the gate crew boss nixed the horse. Some tracks allow horses to be entered before they get their gate approval slip if they believe it will happen before the race. This also would show up as a stewards scratch.

If a trainer is on good terms with the stewards and have a good reason they can usually get a horse scratched if the race will go with a reasonable sized field without the horse.

These are on top of the licensing issues that others have mentioned.

KBEquine
Grade III Winner

Postby KBEquine » Thu Nov 19, 2009 5:39 pm

Ah - all very interesting. Actually, this is a 2 y.o. & it would have been her 1st race & a very large field. I didn't even get a work notice until after I got the entry notice (although at that point, I got a notice of 3 works).

At first, we were saying, "Good move on the trainer's part (assuming a trainer scratch) - it was a pretty big field for a 1st-timer & she could probably have used a smaller field for a good experience." Then we saw it was listed as a steward's scratch & not a trainer scratch (although now it looks like it could have been for any one of a number of reasons, including the one we originally suspected).

Dave C
Restricted Stakes Winner

Postby Dave C » Fri Nov 20, 2009 8:37 am

If that work notice you got after the entry notice was a gate work, I would suspect that the gate crew didn't like how she acted in the gate and denied her permission to start.

KBEquine
Grade III Winner

Postby KBEquine » Fri Nov 20, 2009 3:56 pm

I didn't see it say anything about the gate, but that does make sense. Thanks.

ireneinwa
Restricted Stakes Winner

Postby ireneinwa » Mon Nov 30, 2009 9:50 am

KBEquine wrote:Ah - all very interesting. Actually, this is a 2 y.o. & it would have been her 1st race & a very large field. I didn't even get a work notice until after I got the entry notice (although at that point, I got a notice of 3 works).

At first, we were saying, "Good move on the trainer's part (assuming a trainer scratch) - it was a pretty big field for a 1st-timer & she could probably have used a smaller field for a good experience." Then we saw it was listed as a steward's scratch & not a trainer scratch (although now it looks like it could have been for any one of a number of reasons, including the one we originally suspected).

I thought in CA a horse can't be scratched on race day by trainer, only vet scratch, or in this case stews

KBEquine
Grade III Winner

Postby KBEquine » Mon Nov 30, 2009 1:48 pm

ireneinwa wrote:
KBEquine wrote:Ah - all very interesting. Actually, this is a 2 y.o. & it would have been her 1st race & a very large field. I didn't even get a work notice until after I got the entry notice (although at that point, I got a notice of 3 works).

I thought in CA a horse can't be scratched on race day by trainer, only vet scratch, or in this case stews

That may be true for CA, but this race was in PA & I don't know if they have that same rule.

This filly's entered in another race & she went from being scratched from a race with a $12,500 tag, to being entered for a $40,000 tag, so I'm not sure the thought process (or whether she'll be scratched again) but the first race had a 12-horse field & this one will have 8, if no one scratches.

ireneinwa
Restricted Stakes Winner

Postby ireneinwa » Mon Nov 30, 2009 1:49 pm

I don't wqhat mage me think it was CA. Been sick on meds...ooopppsss

photofinish
Allowance Winner

Postby photofinish » Tue Dec 01, 2009 7:27 pm

If you are looking at Equibase, it seems they list all scratches as "stewards" scratch, unless the state vet scratched the horse. At least they have been in NM. I scratched one a few weeks ago and it was a full field and it showed on Equibase as a "stewards" scratch, not "trainers". I wouldn't worry too much.

KBEquine
Grade III Winner

Postby KBEquine » Wed Dec 02, 2009 7:35 am

photofinish wrote:If you are looking at Equibase, it seems they list all scratches as "stewards" scratch, unless the state vet scratched the horse. At least they have been in NM. I scratched one a few weeks ago and it was a full field and it showed on Equibase as a "stewards" scratch, not "trainers". I wouldn't worry too much.

In fact I was looking at Equibase.

Thanks!